As told in several of the preceding posts Calpe Miniatures have released their Saxon Foot Artillery … though their website is yet too catch up! von Peter himself already had five packs of gunners in hand – see SA stands for Saxon Artillery – and now the NCOs, officers and a few “others” have arrived so that finally it will be possible to create the gun crews for a battery … or two. It is these NCOs, officers and “others” that are the reason for this post.
When selecting the latest artillerymen von Peter himself foresook his default preference for uncovered shakos. These all have covered shakos to reduce the bling and represent what was probably the more likely occurrence of covered shakos being the more common in the field.
Still being of a rather idle disposition von Peter himself proposes to let a couple of images of each pack top all the talking. But first the usual stock standard copy and pasted caveats …
- The figures are presented as they arrived excepting that the larger runners inherent in the casting progress have been removed with a craft knife and the fingers of von Peter himself. The same fingers straightened any bent ram rods etc
- The figures have been cunningly rearranged between the front and back images so that the figures in the matching front and back photographs match left to right. Ahh … that is to say for example that the figure second on the left is the same figure in the front and back photos. If this has not been adequately explained then don’t worry about it as it probably doesn’t matter. Just be aware that von Peter himself went that extra step to the benefit of The dear reader
- von Peter himself has quickly ‘washed’ the figures with ‘Shader Black’ from Coat d’arms to bring out the details a little
- While marvelling at the figures please remember that they are presented in larger than life size … depending on The dear readers device of course!
- ‘Click’ the photos for a larger and clearer image.
FYI – the images do not do justice to the mounted officer.
The feeling in Neu Schloss von Peter is that a Saxon foot battery will most likely be the next unit to be painted. But there are still several non unit paint jobs – leaders, limbers, horses etc – sitting partially completed on the painting table. The order of anything being painted truly is a lottery. And there has not been a lot of painting happening recently. Perhaps it’s time to don a hair shirt until the behaviour improves.
Until we meet again …
von Peter himself